Blog Archive

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chennai - Fire in KMC, three dead

Three people have been confirmed dead after a fire broke out at the Asthama allergic treatment centre of the Kilpauk Medical College (KMC) Hospital in Chennai.

Two women died of asphyxiation due to the fire at the Intensive Care Unit of the government hospital early Saturday (23-July-2011) morning. Another male patient who was also in the unit died a few hours later.

Five others in the ICU were immediately shifted to different wards, hospital sources said.

Police said an electric short-circuit in the split air-conditioning unit in the ICU was the probable cause of the fire.

Fire fighters battled hard for more than three hours to put out the flames, the sources added.

Expressing sorrow over the incident, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said she had ordered the authorities concerned to take adequate preventive measures in all government hospitals to prevent recurrence of such incidents.

The hospital authorities have instituted an enquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews